Holy Temple of the Transfiguration of the Savior (1 Metropolitan Chrysanthou). / Ιερός Ναός Μεταμορφώσεως του Σωτήρος (Μητροπολίτου Χρυσάνθου 1).

SKU: SLM-010 Categories: ,

The refugees, who were initially housed in allied barracks in the center of Kalamaria, were mostly Pontians. For their religious needs, they turned a shack, at the junction of today’s Trapezountos and Vazelonos Streets, into a Temple dedicated to the Transfiguration of the Savior. Papagiorgis, Papanikolas and Papakonstantinos, respected priests of refugee origin, collaborated in their spiritual work, selflessly serving the needy refugees in the church-shack. However, a fire caused by a brazier burned the house-shacks together with the church. Thus, the refugee Kalamaria was left for a few years without its Transfiguration.
The foundation of the new imposing church was made in 1929 and its completion in 1932, after the donation of the brothers Christos, Kostis and Helen Stamatopoulos. The central chandelier of the Temple of the Transfiguration of the Savior of Kars was transported to the port of Thessaloniki, where it remained for several years. This chandelier adorns since 1932 the homonymous metropolitan temple of Kalamaria.
A marble plaque with the single-headed eagle, the emblem of the Komninon Empire that was located on the walls of Trabzon, adorns the facade of the temple. Every year, on the eve of the feast of the Transfiguration of the Savior (August 6), a two-day festival is organized by the Municipality.
Οι πρόσφυγες, οι οποίοι αρχικά στεγάστηκαν σε συμμαχικά παραπήγματα στο κέντρο της Καλαμαριάς, ήταν στην πλειοψηφία τους Πόντιοι. Για τις θρησκευτικές ανάγκες τους μετέτρεψαν μία παράγκα, στη συμβολή των σημερινών οδών Τραπεζούντας και Βαζελώνος, σε ναό αφιερωμένο στη Μεταμόρφωση του Σωτήρος. Οι Παπαγιώργης, Παπανικόλας και Παπακωνσταντίνος, σεβάσμιοι ιερείς με προσφυγική καταγωγή, συνεργάστηκαν στο πνευματικό έργο τους, εξυπηρετώντας με αυτοθυσία τους ενδεείς πρόσφυγες στην εκκλησία-παράγκα. Όμως, πυρκαγιά που προκλήθηκε από μαγκάλι, έκαψε τα σπίτια-παράγκες μαζί και την εκκλησία. Έτσι, η προσφυγομάνα Καλαμαριά έμεινε για λίγα χρόνια χωρίς τη Μεταμόρφωσή της.
Η θεμελίωση του νέου επιβλητικού ναού έγινε το 1929 και η ολοκλήρωσή του το 1932, ύστερα από δωρεά των αδερφών Χρήστου, Κωστή και Ελένης Σταματοπούλου. Ο κεντρικός πολυέλαιος του Ναού Μεταμορφώσεως του Σωτήρος του Καρς μεταφέρθηκε στο λιμάνι της Θεσσαλονίκης, όπου και παρέμεινε για αρκετά χρόνια. Αυτός ο πολυέλαιος κοσμεί από το 1932 τον ομώνυμο μητροπολιτικό ναό της Καλαμαριάς.
Μαρμάρινη πλάκα με τον μονοκέφαλο αετό, το έμβλημα των Κομνηνών που βρισκόταν στα τείχη της Τραπεζούντας, κοσμεί την πρόσοψη του ναού. Κάθε χρόνο, τις παραμονές της εορτής της Μεταμορφώσεως του Σωτήρος (6 Αυγούστου) διοργανώνεται από τον Δήμο διήμερο πανηγύρι.

contact info
Stay informed with our newsletter!

© 2022 Myró Antiques House. All rights reserved.

Send this to a friend